Keeping Cyclists Safe
Many people choose to ride a bicycle for recreation or even as a way to commute back and forth to work, school, or for running errands. In light of high gas prices, reduced family budgets, a heightened awareness of environmental issues, and increased awareness of public health issues such as obesity, riding a bike is an attractive alternative to driving a car. As more and more bikes enter the roadway, it is important for cyclists to be aware of traffic laws and to wear recommended safety gear.
Even the safest cyclist is at risk of serious injury or death because of the actions of a negligent driver. It is important for drivers to be aware of the common dangers cars present to bicycles and to take care to avoid these actions.
Safety Tips for Drivers
To help keep cyclists safe, drivers should keep the following tips in mind at all times:
- Look for cyclists in the far right lane to avoid a collision. Unless turning left at an intersection, a safe cyclist will ride as far to the right as possible.
- If you are driving directly behind a cyclist, leave plenty of room between the bike and your vehicle. Wait for a safe opportunity before passing, and give the cyclist plenty of room.
- Never keep speed with a cyclist and drive with the bicycle directly to the right of your vehicle. This traps the cyclist and may force them to collide with your vehicle or a parked car. Safely pass the cyclist or allow them to ride in front of you.
- Before making a right-hand turn, use your turn signals and always check your blind spot to avoid turning directly into a cyclist.
- Before turning left, check for cyclists approaching in the opposing lane.
- Always check your mirrors and blind spot before opening the door to your parked or stopped car. A collision with a car door can cause serious injuries or even death to a cyclist.
- Never park in or obstruct the bike lane. The lane was created to prevent cyclists from entering unsafe traffic lanes, and any obstruction forces them to do just that.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car crash, contact the Stevens Point car accident lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874.