Pedestrians are everywhere. Each day, children walk to school, professionals cross busy streets to get to the office, and joggers exercise for fitness and health reasons. Both pedestrians and drivers should be aware of the dangers involved when pedestrians are obligated to walk near traffic and to cross crowded roadways.
Unfortunately, traumatic accidents can occur if drivers and pedestrians fail to heed to proper safety procedures. If a driver injures a pedestrian, the driver may be responsible for providing compensation for the wounded party. If you have been hurt in a pedestrian accident, the Stevens Point pedestrian accident lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® will fight hard to earn you the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 800-242-2874.
Pedestrian Safety Precautions
Pedestrians should follow safety precautions such as these when walking or jogging in areas near roads and moving vehicles:
- Only cross in designated areas, such as at intersections and crosswalks. Don’t jaywalk—most pedestrian-vehicle accidents occur when pedestrians cross at unmarked areas.
- Look both directions before crossing a street. At intersections and crosswalks, make eye contact with drivers and wait for them to stop and acknowledge your presence before crossing in front of the vehicle.
- Walk on sidewalks. If you are forced to walk on a road where no sidewalks exist, walk facing traffic.
- At night and in low light situations, carry a flashlight or a bike light and wear reflective clothing to alert motorists of your presence.
- Make sure that a vehicle is not backing out of a driveway before you cross. If you notice the reverse lights on a stationary vehicle in a driveway, wait for the driver to finish backing out before attempting to cross.
- Educate children about pedestrian safety measures. Hold on to young children when walking down sidewalks, and don’t let them play near the street. Teach kids not to run out into the road after stray toys.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident involving a vehicle, contact the Stevens Point pedestrian accident attorneys of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874.